Ambient Air Monitoring

The Ambient Air Monitoring System (AAMS)

Poor air quality has become a major environmental risk to health. The WHO estimates that some 80% of outdoor air pollution-related premature deaths were due to ischaemic heart disease and strokes, while 14% of deaths were due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or acute lower respiratory infections; and 6% of deaths were due to lung cancer [1]. What these deaths have in common is that they have all been a result of breathing in toxic gases and particulates from pollution caused by vehicles and manufacturing.

In the UK, it is estimated that 5% of all deaths were caused from poor air quality and pollution [2].

It is believed for more developed countries such as the UK, pollution from road traffic, in particular diesel emissions is responsible for up to over 70% of the total polluting emissions emitted annually. The remaining 30% can come from sources such as manufacturing, process industry, construction, gas and petrochemical industries.

A whole range of pollutants come in the form of gases. These toxic gases include nitrogen oxides, sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, ozone, methane and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s). In addition to toxic gases, dangerous particulate matter (PM) can also be emitted and become airborne and inhaled.

The two pollutants of most concern are microscopic airborne PM (which are often carcinogenic) and nitrogen dioxide. PM can be quantified by its size and where it is most likely to get trapped as it travels down your body and ranges from PM2.5 – PM10 (size of the particulate in microns). Nitrogen dioxide is extremely harmful to health and is associated with respiratory symptoms, inflammation of the lung lining and a leading cause of bronchitis.

Unfortunately, a major issue in dealing with air pollution is that it is not easily seen, smelt or detected. The vast majority of the gases are colourless and odourless meaning you are most likely unaware of the concentration of the toxic gases you are breathing in.

The “Ambient Air Monitoring System (AAMS)” is a shift in air quality monitoring.  The AAMS can measure up to 8 toxic or flammable gases,  particulate matter concentrations and up to 40 different meteorological and environmental sensors simultaneously in real time.

Significantly lower capital and operating costs than fixed air monitoring systems allows multiple units to be set up as a network and you can access your data anywhere in the world at any time.

A networked solution allows you to create a dense arrangement of systems around a target zone and can give more indicative results than a singular high precision site such as a fixed ambient air monitoring system. The software tracks the data and alarms can be set up to alert stakeholders when parameters have been breached.

The range of gases that can be measured are as follows:

Flammable:

  • Methane
  • Hydrogen

Toxic:

  • Nitrogen dioxide
  • Sulphur dioxide
  • Carbon monoxide
  • Sulphur dioxide
  • Hydrogen sulphide
  • Ozone
  • Nitrogen Oxide

Toxic (Process/ Chemical Applications):

  • Methane
  • Chlorine
  • Ammonia

In addition to air quality monitoring, the system can measure up to 40 different meteorological and environmental sensors to analyse influencers (meteorological) and effects (environmental) within the local surroundings. These sensors include traditional meteorological sensors, such as wind speed and direction, humidity & temperature, rainfall etc but also the ability to monitor conditions such as local water quality and soil variables to give the user a full spectrum of measurements which has not been readily available in a singular system before.

For the full range of meteorological and environmental sensors that can be added to the system please visit our “150 series” range.

The toxic and flammable gases can all be swapped and interchanged depending on the project/ analysis requirements and require only simple calibration procedures.

Similarly, met sensors can be added, swapped and changed when necessary. The entire system is enclosed in an ingress protected enclosure which can be mounted and dismounted quickly and easily by two people. The system does not require any special loading and transportation and can even be placed in the back of a car!

By simplifying the calibration process for the gas sensors, cost of ownership and maintenance schedule are greatly reduced thus giving you even greater savings as product life increases.

Applications include:

  • Industrial fence line monitoring
  • Urban air monitoring
  • Process/ manufacturing monitoring
  • Short term monitoring

Please contact us for more information or if you have any more questions.

 

[1] http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs313/en/ [ 05/02/2016]

[2] http://healthyair.org.uk/the-problem/ [05/02/2015]